The Family Room operates at multiple locations around the Portland Metro area. Our model partners with local faith communities for space, volunteers and meals.
The Family Room increases both the quantity and quality of visitation in the following ways:
- The Family Room is available for families Tuesdays from 2:00-8:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Families are encouraged to attend as many days and hours as the program is available.
- The Family Room always provides evening and weekend times that are typically outside of DHS’ available hours.
- The Family Room provides supervised family time, but more critically, the program provides birth parents with modeling, guidance, education, and encouragement as they learn to safely and lovingly parent their children.
- The home-like feel of The Family Room (kitchen, couches, dining room, tables, toys, etc.) allows for family interactions that better translate to normal day-to-day family events (getting a meal on the table, helping with homework, managing a tantrum, etc.).
- All visitation sessions include a full meal for every child and parent, and the parents have the opportunity to participate in the preparation of the meals to increase their nutritional and culinary repertoire.
- The Family Room’s staff and volunteers all receive background checks and training.
- The Family Room offers a loving environment where every parent and child can experience the unconditional love of Jesus and the no-strings-attached support of a faith community that can remain involved even when the DHS case closes.